Jazz Studies in New Orleans


New Orleans Jazz is alive and pumping I tell you...I landed myself right into the middle of it all, jumping in the deep end! My first day of uni classes began with an audition...waaaah!!!
Jazz solos with some damn fine musicians, a round robin, from bass player to bass player, drummer to drummer, swapping smoothly with an ease and skill that was particularly impressive considering the sizzling tempo. A long, long line of sax and trumpet players...my fantasy of a Stevie Wonder horn orchestra growing in potential ;)
To complete the picture, imagine a shaking nervous Aussie girl by the door. I finally got up the balls to walk over and grab the mic...sung out some improvisation... don't ask me what it was...but my voice worked and I'm happy about that! I got myself a spot in the Latin/Jazz ensemble, these are some of my class mates, it was a 9 piece band…3 horns, 1 bassist, 1 guitarist, 4 drummer/percussionists and 1 singer...yup that’s me!
This beginning set the high standard that followed over the next semester of Jazz studies at the University of New Orleans (UNO). The course was very practical based and I found most of my days filled with vocal exercises, scales, improvisation, sight reading to learn both Jazz standards, Blues and Latin/Jazz songs. When I wasn’t singing, I was training with rhythms, writing music charts, memorizing the relationships between notes, scales and chords…or…listening to music!!!
In New Orleans music bubbles up through the cracks in the concrete and keeps the city moving. From festival to festival, venue to venue, this place oozes musical abundance and jazz is still the main dish.
These swampy flat lands in Southern America first birthed Blues and Jazz. I had the opportunity to do a class in Jazz History, which made me feel so grateful to be living there, a deeper appreciation for the musical talent I saw around me, and an understanding of how it had grown.
Another unique experience was Mardi Gras.
Paper-mache floats representing Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Ether, moon and sun…amazing paintings and sculptures filled with beauty and magic…honoring the elements, gods and goddesses, and magical beings. I really loved it!
A ridiculous amount of marching bands, seemly infinite and never ending, bringing vibrant music to flood the streets and dancing groups showing off their funky moves, shaking hips, twirling batons, wearing far to little on those cold, wintery nights…brrrr!
Representing abundance, the people in costumes shower the crowds with necklace after necklace, arms thrown in the air, cheering following each float like a wave of energy moving up the street.

Yet I also saw mountains of plastic, the waste as uncaught items line the street, broken and discarded. All that energy to make those beads, earth resources, the very beauty being honored in the floats, bulldozed into the garbage trucks that follow the parades, cleaning up. How much cost our fun has on the earth!
Congo Square has been a gathering place for African Americans since first being shipped over for the slave trade. Sundays were the only day off where they could dance, sing and drum together. I happened upon this regular drum circle within the first few weeks of arriving in New Orleans and it became one of my favorite activities. A beautiful community of people drumming and dancing Congo rhythms…so blessed to have been part of that!
Another musical experience I was deeply grateful for was collaborating with a guitarist and friend Lewis. Exploring creativity as a singer, Lewis helped me find the courage to improvise; we would sit in the sun and jam every week. Doing a few casual gigs at parties, where it was a new experience for me to get up in front of people, with no idea of what we’d be playing, trusting and allowing whatever melodies flowed. This is a video we did in City Park, one of the "songs" that had a little more structure to it, hope you enjoy...as you'll see we had lots of giggles and mishaps that were all part of the fun :)  http://youtu.be/1lzZYml5IpQ
This was the live performance with my Jazz/Latin ensemble at a venue called The Sandbar. A video link, for those who'd like to hear a taste too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZEK2MizA0A
Another event called ‘International Night’ celebrating the cultural diversity at UNO.
My vocal recital was a showcase of songs I’d been working on in my private classes with Leah Chase…amazing teacher and Jazz singer! A video link too for the live sound: http://youtu.be/ZHz-Oo6GH7k
A wonderful gift I was given, was a video called 'Whispers of You' created by Rohan. It's a visual blog of the last 8 months which I'd also love to share with you all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcc2PvXUjt8 

Being the nature girl I am it seems appropriate to finish with some photos of the Lake and Biyou, where Rohan and I spent a lot of our time cycling along the bike trails, climbing trees (as you saw before Lewis got roped into doing that with me too, tee,hee,hee!) and enjoying the swampy wilderness of ‘City Park’.


Comments