First Year of Uni: Session 2


Second session began with a much greater workload and full time uni really did take up all my time! The course, teachers and assignments still bringing me lots of inspiration…started doing a daily singing practice and journal, on top of my yoga practices, lucky I like getting up early!!

I continue the slow and painful process of reading notes on paper, to transform them into rhythms and melodies. I am still a baby at this but over and over practice is opening up a new world to me. To hear a song, find the bass line, work out the chords, write out the melody, the drum pattern, pen to paper, and drawing pictures onto staves. Or the other way, making chord charts of my own songs as I write them, enabling me to perform with other musicians quickly and easily (if they can read music too!!)

Here are some new tunz I wrote! Love your feedback :)
Plus a live gig I did (teehee you can see some of my fellow muzo’s reading my charts if you look carefully!)
Also made a video clip as part of a subject called ‘Music and the Internet’. A very fun project that involved dancing, choreography, rehearsals, hiring a hall, lighting, organising cameras, collaborations and sharing with some gorgeous new creative friends :)
Check it out here:
These forest pictures were also part of a uni project to update my websites with new images. Our intention was to reflect my time here at uni, learning to write music. Ha, ha, ha most of the sheet music I used is original, hand written charts of my songs and we were slightly worried they’d blow into the creek :)
Got to be part of two great bands!! One was a combo of rock and funk songs, I got to play bass guitar, practice my harmony singing and did a cover of Katie Noonan’s…waaah that woman is a talented singer!!! Was a huge challenge for me getting the breath work right, expanding my vocal range and just the confidence to give it a go.
The other band was focused on world music. Singing songs in Portuguese from Brazil, tunz from India and Africa too. I mostly sung backup harmonies and played percussion but also had a dabble on the keys as well…really loving the opportunities to explore new instruments :)
I continued my regular performances as an MC, telling silly stories, playing charades and even did a soap box stint leading up to the election ;)
On top of my regular uni work, I also went through the process of applying for an exchange to the University of New Orleans for 5 months in their Jazz Studies Course. It has been an unbelievable amount of paperwork…swimming in forms and red tape for months….but….I’m very excited to tell you…I got in!!! Waaaaahhh!!!!!!
Here are the two Jazz songs I performed and sent as my audition material:
So I’ll be off on a long flight to the US in early January, ready to have an experience of a lifetime, with deep gratitude and love in my heart, as I follow my dreams and passion for music.
Thank you all for your love and support.
Wishing you a lovely Christmas and New Years!!!

Comments